Archive for June, 2011
It’s Wednesday and that means it is time to stop and think about why this week was wonderful!
1. Someone told me that a comment I left on their blog made their day. That made my day :)
2. I got to have a muffin for breakfast for the first time in a while. Muffins and tea make such an excellent breakfast.
3. I ran an errand that actually involved leaving the house!
4. While running said errand my shoe decided to break. Which would have sucked but luckily I was only about a half block from my apartment. Also I inherited my Mom’s tough feet so the hot pavement didn’t bother me too much – thanks Mom!
5. A song that was really popular when I was a freshman in high school was playing on the radio today. I hadn’t heard it in years and it made me smile. Don’t you love when the happens?
6. I had Mango Acai White Tea by Honest Tea with lunch and V8 Splash with seltzer when I got back from my errands. Can you tell I went grocery shopping yesterday?
7. I finished rewatching season 1 of Mad Men. I love rewatching shows I love and catching all the little things you missed the first time.
8. I am actually watching the first episode of season 2 as I type this. TV + Blogging = good day!
I am not usually one to wear something just because it is trendy. Of course I always end up buying things that are “in style” because that is what is in the stores. However I mostly just try and buy/wear clothes that I like. Plus I am pretty sure I will never be convinced that leggings can be worn as pants (except in pj and work out situations) or that one-shoulder tops/dresses don’t look off balance.
Anyway today’s outfit does feature a recent trend – a knotted shirt. I have been seeing blogs everywhere featuring knotted and tied t-shirts and button-downs. I remember wearing shirts like this when I was in middle school so I figured I would give it a try.
Credit where Credit is Due: Shirt – hand-me-down from my Mom; Dress – Urban Outfitters; Sandals – Bakers Shoes
P.S. This is actually what I wore on Sunday. I meant to post this yesterday, but I ended up spending a large portion of my day removing super-glue from my hands. You see I have this headband that I love that lost a bead and I decide to glue the bead back on. Unfortunately the Krazy glue I tried to use must have been old or overheated or something because it exploded all over my hands. Luckily none of my figures got stuck together or anything, but I had to spend a really long time with my fingers soaking in nail polish remover. In my family this is what we call a Caitlin Accident. I am extremely clumsy and used to have strange accidents when I was younger. For example I managed to get my hair throughly entwined in a rope swing when I was maybe 10 or so and my parents had to cut my hair to get me off the swing.
Now that you are all thinking how weird I am, I think it is time to end this post.
A few weeks ago I decided I wanted some fancy cookies without a lot of effort. I then came up with this recipe. However I forgot to document the making of the cookie sandwiches and therefore I couldn’t share the awesomeness.
On Friday I decided it was time for some more awesome cookie sandwiches and this time I remembered to take pictures.
Step 1: Bake chocolate chip cookies. If you are feeling fancy you can make some from scratch but I just used basic break & bake cookies.
Step 2: Allow cookies to cool for around 20 minutes or so.
Step 3: Microwave 2 tablespoons of peanut butter for around 15 seconds (this is to make the peanut butter easier to work with). Then spread a small dollop on every other cookie.
Step 4: Press the cookies together into sandwiches and set aside.
Step 5: Melt approximately 4 squares of chocolate. (I used Ghiradelli 72% dark chocolate, but you could use chocolate chips or anything you wish). I found this took approximately 50 secs (stirring after 30 seconds).
Step 6: Dip one half of the cookie sandwiches in the chocolate. You can also have fun if you want and dip the whole thing in chocolate (I did that for a few).
Step 7: Allow to set in fridge for about an hour.
Step 8: Eat. Eat. Eat. (and maybe share a little bit if you really like the person).
I really want to make a post today. I am just in the mood to blog – you know? Unfortunately I don’t have any outfit photos to share. I haven’t taken any interesting photos lately. I have been making the same old food and drinking the same old tea.
Therefore I am going to make a list of 6 random things you may not know about me. I really like when other blogs do these kinds of posts, and I think it is a great topic for a blog post (except for the fact that 50% of my readership is my boyfriend Jim and he probably knows these things), but I am going to proceed anyway.
1. I am a horrible speller. Spell check is a life saver. I also tend to misspell simple words and perfectly nail longer complicated ones. Australopithecus (no problem), but definitely (pretty much always forget an “i”).
2. I love blueberry muffins. I could eat them for breakfast every day and not get sick of them.
3. I am the oldest of my siblings. My brother is 6 years younger than me and my sister is 10 years younger than me. I am also the oldest of my 14 cousins.
4. I am pretty sure that I cause computers to die. When I was a freshman in college my laptop decided to die during finals (this was a computer I got for college!). Then Jim’s computer also decided to die during finals. It turns out my computer had a faulty hard drive. So I had it replaced and then it started overheating. Still not convinced? I then dropped that laptop and shattered the screen. Then I managed to spill water on my replacement laptop. That laptop is luckily still alive. However then Jim’s replacement computer’s hard drive started overheating. I swear I am cursed or something.
5. I like a lot of TV series. Seriously I can watch an embarrassing amount of TV. Among my current favorites are: Bones, House, Fringe, Modern Family, Nikita, Mike & Molly, The Mentalist. I could probably go on, but I won’t.
6. I grew up 1.1 miles away from the beach. I could literally bike or walk there whenever I wanted, but I don’t particularly like the beach. Give me a rocky swimming hole over a sandy beach any day.
It’s time for a Wonderful Wednesday post! I really enjoy putting these posts together. Sometimes you just need to stop and look at all the small things that made your day special.
1. Today I was able to do a pilates exercise that I wasn’t able to do last summer.
2. I have purple nails and orange toenails. I love bright summer colors!
3. I am wearing a pretty pink dress and pigtails.
4. I am making roasted potatoes for dinner tonight – yum!
5. I received and replied to an email from an old friend. It’s always nice to hear from friends you haven’t talked to in a while!
6. I spent some time reading today. I always forget how much I love to read. Currently I am reading The Girl Who Played with Fire.
7. I finished up the first season of The Big Bang Theory today. It is not the most amazing show ever created, but it is cute and funny.
8. I started making a list of things I want to do this summer. Thus far: fishing/canoeing, go to a fair and visit the town my boyfriend lived in the first summer we knew each other.
Try and think of 8 reasons why your day was wonderful!