Archive for May, 2011
I am heading to Chicago tomorrow! I’ll be staying with Jim’s family for a week and at the end of the week heading to his cousin’s wedding in Indiana. I am super excited. I have only been to Chicago once before. It was for Christmas two years ago (one year ago? The Christmas before last). I am excited to maybe explore outside a little bit more this time.
I will not be bringing my computer. When my boyfriend first suggested this idea I nearly bit his head off, but after thinking about it for a while I decided the idea of being semi-disconnected is appealing. Now I say semi-disconnected because I will of course be bringing my iPhone and iPad and it’s not like Jim’s family doesn’t have computers – haha.
I will therefore be doing fewer posts this week. I will attempt to do a few posts from the WordPress iPhone app but pictures will most likely be lacking. I will at the very least post A Few Favorites and Wonderful Wednesday. Plus I am sure I will have loads and loads of pictures to post when I get back.
Okay well I am off to finish packing and such (ick). I hope everyone has a spectacular week.
I feel like the epitome of summer in this outfit! Maxi-dress, colorful belt, and wedges. I am pretty much in love with the maxi-dress look in general. I think that nothing yells summer than long hemlines (that seems counter-intuitive but its true).
Credit where Credit is Due: Dress – Modcloth; Belt – small store in NH; Wedges – Forever 21; Headbands – Anthropologie
In case you are wondering about the title, there is a short story behind this belt. My Dad is really into mountain climbing and he usually goes ice climbing once or twice a year. Every time my family goes to our condo in New Hampshire we end up spending at least an hour in various mountain climbing stores. One day I was bored and wandering the store’s basement section and I found this belt for exactly one dollar. Needless to say I was quite thrilled with my find. Who knew you could thrift shop in an ice climbing shop?
I try to report only happy news on my blog, but unfortunately today is a pretty sad day. My family dog had to be put the sleep this morning. He has been pretty sick with cancer for the past couple of months and my family decided that they shouldn’t let him suffer anymore.
I wanted to take some time and remember some good things about my puppy. I picked Tucker out of a litter of puppies when I was 8 years old. He came right over to me, curled up in my lap and fell asleep. I decided that this was the puppy that we had to take home. Tucker was a very friendly and happy dog. He pretty much wagged his tail 24/7 and loved anyone who petted him. We used to joke to new visitors at our house that they shouldn’t pet him unless they wanted a friend for life.
Tucker’s favorite place in the whole world was a swimming hole in NH. He would even try and go swimming when it was completely covered over in ice. You could never get him to take interest in chasing a tennis ball or a stick, but throw a rock into the swimming hole and he would be entertained for hours. That’s right that dog liked to chase rocks – haha.
Tucker was terrified of this bridge for some reason. I wish I had taken a video instead of a picture because it was so adorable and funny. He carefully inched his way onto the bridge and then suddenly bolted over it. Then he turned around to double check that he was actually on solid ground again.
Tucker I hope wherever you are you have a plethora rocks to chase, plenty of people to keep you company and an endlessly full bowl of dog food. You were a great and loyal dog and you will be dearly missed. I loved you very much.
Outfit post time!! I feel like I haven’t done an outfit post in so long, and I am particularly excited about this outfit. I have had this dress for a while now, but really struggled with how to wear it. I love the pattern and the material, but the top of it is WAY too small. Unfortunately if I sized up the rest of it would definitely be too big and the top would probably still be too small. I finally thought of the perfect solution: slip + buttoned-up blazer!
This is actually what I wore yesterday, but Mr. Jimby has been kind enough to perform some much need maintenance on my computer. Therefore it was out of commission for a little bit there. Now it is back up and working like a dream (plus all of my pictures are organized and backed-up!).
Credit where Credit is Due: Blazer – Forever 21; Dress – Urban Outfitters; Slip – Urban Outfitters; Shoes – Urban Outfitters
Also I made a smoothie this afternoon and it was delicious! Just thought I would share that.
Sorry for the lack of posting for the past couple of days. I went home for a few days which was fun! It is always nice to see my family. My brother (14 years old) and sister (11 years old) just keep getting bigger and bigger every time I see them.
Since I haven’t posted in a few days I thought I would quickly summarize the best parts of my weekend. So…..Here are some highlights from my weekend at home:
- Watching the Tour of California (similar to the Tour de France but in CA) and seeing sumo wrestlers chase the bikes (apparently this is a normal occurrence at these things???).
- 10pm algebra lessons from Shane (my brother) and Titus (his best friend/my second brother).
- Popping Orbeez and Warhead tasting.
- Pomegranate Greek yogurt (seriously amazing!!!).
- Finally completing about 7 loads of laundry (maybe I can actually do some outfit posts now).
- Jim getting me an awesome new photo-editing iPhone app. It’s called FX Photo Studio. I’ll leave you with some pictures I edited with the app:
Time for my first edition of A Few Favorites! I decided to start with some of my favorite things I use every day!
- Hair ties – They are the perfect hair accessory. Buns, ponytails, half-up, braids, pig tails. You name it and these little guys can create the perfect hair day. Also this is the kind without those little metal things. When I discovered that they made hair ties without little metal things, it was a glorious day. Metal + curls do not mix!
- Gum – I am pretty much addicted to gum. It drives me crazy when I run out and can’t make it to the store. Therefore I pretty much always try to keep one of the big packs of gum around.
- One a Day Vitamins – I have been a vegetarian about four and a half years. Since I became a vegetarian I have tried to take a vitamin every day. I try to eat healthy and get all the nutrients I need from food, but sometimes it is hard with a college diet.
- DKNY perfume – I adore the scent of this perfume. It is sweet and fruity and not in the least bit overpowering. Not to mention the fact that it was a gift from Jim, making it extra special!
- Organix Coconut Conditioner – My hair can be really fussy and this conditioner does wonders to tame it. Plus it smells AMAZING!!! Seriously if you have curly (or dry) hair – try this stuff out!
- Mango Hand Lotion – My hands always get really dry in the winter and from cleaning products and such. I always keep some kind of hand lotion around to try and combat that. This one is my favorite because it smells yummy.
- Camera Case – Well to be honest it is actually an iPod case, but it fits my little camera perfectly. I believe it is from Free People.
Thus ends my first edition of A Few Favorites. Feel free to share what some of your daily favorites are!
P.S. I can’t decide whether Daily Favorites should be the title or the subtitle. Any opinions?
It is time for another Wonderful Wednesday!!
1. I found out yesterday that I got straight A’s this semester. Now that may sound like bragging, but seriously this semester sucked (like cry 3 times a week cause I have so much work, kind of sucked). It was definitely my hardest semester yet in college. Finding out that it was all worth it was really something.
2. I also found out yesterday that I won a contest for a $250 amazon gift card! I still have to wait 2-3 weeks for it to process, but not gonna lie I am pretty excited! (What would you buy?)
3. I found the last bit of my beloved Caramel Black Tea from Adagio yesterday and I had it for breakfast this morning. It tastes like liquid caramel, but without sugar or calories.
4. I took some pictures for my new feature!
5. I am heading home this weekend so I get to see my family.
6. My little brother left on his 8th grade trip to Washington today (he is getting so big!).
7. I still have half of the cake I baked the other day left (yum!)
8. I am finished with about 90% of the cleaning I wanted to get done this week!