Archive for June, 2011
It’s Wednesday and that means it is time to stop and think about why this week was wonderful!
1. Someone told me that a comment I left on their blog made their day. That made my day🙂
2. I got to have a muffin for breakfast for the first time in a while. Muffins and tea make such an excellent breakfast.
3. I ran an errand that actually involved leaving the house!
4. While running said errand my shoe decided to break. Which would have sucked but luckily I was only about a half block from my apartment. Also I inherited my Mom’s tough feet so the hot pavement didn’t bother me too much – thanks Mom!
5. A song that was really popular when I was a freshman in high school was playing on the radio today. I hadn’t heard it in years and it made me smile. Don’t you love when the happens?
6. I had Mango Acai White Tea by Honest Tea with lunch and V8 Splash with seltzer when I got back from my errands. Can you tell I went grocery shopping yesterday?
7. I finished rewatching season 1 of Mad Men. I love rewatching shows I love and catching all the little things you missed the first time.
8. I am actually watching the first episode of season 2 as I type this. TV + Blogging = good day!
I am not usually one to wear something just because it is trendy. Of course I always end up buying things that are “in style” because that is what is in the stores. However I mostly just try and buy/wear clothes that I like. Plus I am pretty sure I will never be convinced that leggings can be worn as pants (except in pj and work out situations) or that one-shoulder tops/dresses don’t look off balance.
Anyway today’s outfit does feature a recent trend – a knotted shirt. I have been seeing blogs everywhere featuring knotted and tied t-shirts and button-downs. I remember wearing shirts like this when I was in middle school so I figured I would give it a try.
Credit where Credit is Due: Shirt – hand-me-down from my Mom; Dress – Urban Outfitters; Sandals – Bakers Shoes
P.S. This is actually what I wore on Sunday. I meant to post this yesterday, but I ended up spending a large portion of my day removing super-glue from my hands. You see I have this headband that I love that lost a bead and I decide to glue the bead back on. Unfortunately the Krazy glue I tried to use must have been old or overheated or something because it exploded all over my hands. Luckily none of my figures got stuck together or anything, but I had to spend a really long time with my fingers soaking in nail polish remover. In my family this is what we call a Caitlin Accident. I am extremely clumsy and used to have strange accidents when I was younger. For example I managed to get my hair throughly entwined in a rope swing when I was maybe 10 or so and my parents had to cut my hair to get me off the swing.
Now that you are all thinking how weird I am, I think it is time to end this post.
A few weeks ago I decided I wanted some fancy cookies without a lot of effort. I then came up with this recipe. However I forgot to document the making of the cookie sandwiches and therefore I couldn’t share the awesomeness.
On Friday I decided it was time for some more awesome cookie sandwiches and this time I remembered to take pictures.
Step 1: Bake chocolate chip cookies. If you are feeling fancy you can make some from scratch but I just used basic break & bake cookies.
Step 2: Allow cookies to cool for around 20 minutes or so.
Step 3: Microwave 2 tablespoons of peanut butter for around 15 seconds (this is to make the peanut butter easier to work with). Then spread a small dollop on every other cookie.
Step 4: Press the cookies together into sandwiches and set aside.
Step 5: Melt approximately 4 squares of chocolate. (I used Ghiradelli 72% dark chocolate, but you could use chocolate chips or anything you wish). I found this took approximately 50 secs (stirring after 30 seconds).
Step 6: Dip one half of the cookie sandwiches in the chocolate. You can also have fun if you want and dip the whole thing in chocolate (I did that for a few).
Step 7: Allow to set in fridge for about an hour.
Step 8: Eat. Eat. Eat. (and maybe share a little bit if you really like the person).
I really want to make a post today. I am just in the mood to blog – you know? Unfortunately I don’t have any outfit photos to share. I haven’t taken any interesting photos lately. I have been making the same old food and drinking the same old tea.
Therefore I am going to make a list of 6 random things you may not know about me. I really like when other blogs do these kinds of posts, and I think it is a great topic for a blog post (except for the fact that 50% of my readership is my boyfriend Jim and he probably knows these things), but I am going to proceed anyway.
1. I am a horrible speller. Spell check is a life saver. I also tend to misspell simple words and perfectly nail longer complicated ones. Australopithecus (no problem), but definitely (pretty much always forget an “i”).
2. I love blueberry muffins. I could eat them for breakfast every day and not get sick of them.
3. I am the oldest of my siblings. My brother is 6 years younger than me and my sister is 10 years younger than me. I am also the oldest of my 14 cousins.
4. I am pretty sure that I cause computers to die. When I was a freshman in college my laptop decided to die during finals (this was a computer I got for college!). Then Jim’s computer also decided to die during finals. It turns out my computer had a faulty hard drive. So I had it replaced and then it started overheating. Still not convinced? I then dropped that laptop and shattered the screen. Then I managed to spill water on my replacement laptop. That laptop is luckily still alive. However then Jim’s replacement computer’s hard drive started overheating. I swear I am cursed or something.
5. I like a lot of TV series. Seriously I can watch an embarrassing amount of TV. Among my current favorites are: Bones, House, Fringe, Modern Family, Nikita, Mike & Molly, The Mentalist. I could probably go on, but I won’t.
6. I grew up 1.1 miles away from the beach. I could literally bike or walk there whenever I wanted, but I don’t particularly like the beach. Give me a rocky swimming hole over a sandy beach any day.
It’s time for a Wonderful Wednesday post! I really enjoy putting these posts together. Sometimes you just need to stop and look at all the small things that made your day special.
1. Today I was able to do a pilates exercise that I wasn’t able to do last summer.
2. I have purple nails and orange toenails. I love bright summer colors!
3. I am wearing a pretty pink dress and pigtails.
4. I am making roasted potatoes for dinner tonight – yum!
5. I received and replied to an email from an old friend. It’s always nice to hear from friends you haven’t talked to in a while!
6. I spent some time reading today. I always forget how much I love to read. Currently I am reading The Girl Who Played with Fire.
7. I finished up the first season of The Big Bang Theory today. It is not the most amazing show ever created, but it is cute and funny.
8. I started making a list of things I want to do this summer. Thus far: fishing/canoeing, go to a fair and visit the town my boyfriend lived in the first summer we knew each other.
Try and think of 8 reasons why your day was wonderful!
I discovered a new hairstyle on Saturday. This is a big deal for me because I really struggle to find hairstyles that actually work with my thick and curly hair. I know that pigtails look a little bit juvenile (and I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t already handed children’s menus at restaurants), but I put my hair this way out of desperation. You see me wearing my hair down in the summer feels like wearing a thick wool scarf around my neck in the summer. Now one would probably say that the logical solution would to be putting my hair up in a braid, bun or ponytail. However I pretty much exclusively wore my hair in a braid, bun or ponytail from the ages of 10 to 18. Therefore I have a strong desire to avoid these hairstyles the majority of the time. Which led me to pigtails. That was probably way more than you needed to know about my hairstyling decisions and if you read all that I commend you.
On to the pictures:
Credit where Credit is Due: T-shirt – Urban Outfitters; Skirt – Hand-me-down from my Mom; Shoes – Blowfish via Amazon